California law enforcement and Senator Anna Caballero (D – Salinas) announced sweeping amendments to SB 230 – the California use of force bill that will set a national precedent by requiring consistent policies and mandatory training standards for all 500 California law enforcement agencies.
With these amendments, SB 230 will:
- Establish the first statewide guidelines to clearly define when officers are authorized to use force.
- Require that every California law enforcement officer receive the most robust training in the nation strictly designed to minimize the use of force.
- Set specific policy requirements that officers de-escalate, render medical aid, proportional use of force and more.
- Set forth detailed, standardized requirements for reporting all instances when force is used in our communities.
- Specify that use of force policies and training are considered in legal proceedings.