The City of Santa Maria is the largest city in the Santa Barbara County (located on the central coast) with a population of over 100,000. Our city is surrounded by many attractions such as wine country, the beach, hiking / biking trails, and much more. The department consists of 180 sworn and non-sworn personnel.
Come join our hard working and innovative team!
NEW LATERAL INCENTIVES (as of August 2021):
- $20,000 hiring incentive ($10k at time of hire / $5k upon successful completion of FTP / $5k upon successful completion of probation, 12 months)
- $2500 relocation bonus
- Credit for full years of service with most recent agency (for vacation accrual purposes)
- PERS ret. 3% at 55 (for classic employees coming from another PERS agency)
- 4/10 plan for sworn personnel
- 5% Specialty assignment pay
- 5 % Education incentive
- 10% Longevity Pay
- Up to 5% bi-lingual pay
- New contract with 9% in pay increases over (2022-2024)
- Annual leave cash out options (up to 240 hours total)
- Preloaded 80 hours vacation upon hire
- Preloaded 80 hours sick time upon hire