PORAC’s Bylaws require that retired members retain membership in order to continue on with their access to PORAC insurance products and legal defense coverage. Retired Associate Membership (RAM) also provides an avenue by which retired law enforcement and public safety officers can continue to influence legislation and social policy, related to the profession. PORAC interests in California are advocated for with the firm of Aaron Read and Associates, while the firm of Steptoe & Johnson advocate federally on PORAC’s behalf. Both firms understand, and aggressively protect, the interests of retired peace officers, along with those still actively working. Retired Associate Members may also be able to take advantage of low-cost health, dental, vision, long-term care, as well as other types of insurance coverage with access to PORAC’s Insurance and Benefits Trust (IBT), where RAM is represented with its own Trustee. Additionally, members of RAM also have access to PORAC’s Legal Defense Fund (LDF) where they may purchase plan coverage related to the carrying/use of their CCW.
RAM Committee Members
RAM Membership Pricing
- $30 per member per year for RAM membership only
- $48 per member per year for RAM LDF firearms coverage
- Effective 7/1/2017 -$60 per member per year for RAM LDF firearms coverage
- Effective 7/1/2018 -$72 per member per year for RAM LDF firearms coverage
RAM LDF Firearms Coverage
PORAC and its Legal Defense Fund (LDF) are excited to offer RAM members retiree firearms coverage. This Plan is only available to retired law enforcement officers who are also PORAC Retired Associate Members. This legal defense coverage provides protection for the following:
- APPEALS FROM THE DENIAL OF A CCW: If you were an active LDF member at the time of retirement, retired in good standing, and upon retirement, your department refuses to issue you a CCW, then LDF will pay all of the costs and attorney fees reasonably necessary for you to administratively appeal that denial.
- CRIMINAL/CIVIL COVERAGE: If you have a validly issued CCW from the department from which you retired, and are confronted with a situation that requires you to use your firearm in either self-defense or the defense of others, LDF will pay all of the attorney fees and costs associated with defending you in any criminal or civil proceeding arising out of that use.
- HR 218 COVERAGE: Pursuant to the Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act of 2004, the federal government provided “qualified retired law enforcement officers” the right to carry their firearms in states other than the one where the CCW was issued. Accordingly, if you are a Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer (as defined by the LDF Plan Document), are traveling in a state where you are charged with illegal possession of a firearm, then under the retiree firearms coverage plan, you will be provided an attorney to defend you against that charge. Please note that the federal legislation has very strict and specific requirements that must be met in order for you to qualify for the federal protection.
The cost of this plan is $48 per member per year.
(Effective 7/1/2017 -$60 & Effective 7/1/2018 -$72 )
If you wish to take part in this program, please carefully review the application, the LDF Plan Document, and the FAQ’s. Once you have a clear understanding of this Plan and wish to participate, please follow the instructions found on the application, and forward a completed copy with the appropriate payment to the PORAC office.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Tori Tillman (Membership Services – RAM) at email@example.com or (800) 937-6722, or LDF Legal Administrator Ed Fishman at (888) 556–5631.
Use the links below to get more information and to download the appropriate application